A Dream within a Dream

The snow and the afternoon gloom painted the world in blue when I went home from university and I still haven't got used to the fact that this place is so breathtakingly beautiful. At first it was the blue, cloudless sky and the water glistening in sunlight, then it was the colourful autumn-leaves that set all the trees aflame and didn't even give the -at times- grey sky a chance, and now, all of a sudden, it's the snow. Haha, I'm a sucker for this place. But yes, I love it.
I missed my "last" train this morning because it was so frozen that I couldn't make it to the trainsstation as fast as I had intended to. - The truth is, I missed my train because I slept in and then took way too my time with everything :P But still. Everything is frozen. I believe to feel that the cold here is different. I don't know if it's true, though. It's just that I was freezing a lot more a couple of weeks ago when we had around 5°C and rain. This morning there were, if at all -2°C and I didn't technically freeze. I wore the right clothes, and the wind hurt my face and bit at my hands (they're all dry, need to take care from now on!) but ... it was fine.
In suullinen viestintä we talked all the time. Well XD It's a conversation class so we're bound to talk, but we had a very interesting conversation about how Finns easily switch to English with foreigners but how we're in a very advantageous position. Rigina said a lot about us being open minded and educated enough to be able to  get in contact with people and to state our opinion without having to go back to English and about us being, somehow "strong" enough to insist on our right to use the Finnish language and so on. It was really very interesting.
Based on our discussion I bought that new book. The author, originally from Slovakia, wrote it in Finnish and was one of the nominees for the Finlandia Palkinto. Quite a revolution for an award you can only get (and usually can only get nominated for) when you're of finnish Nationality. It was really weird. When Rigina told us about the book it was really like "you know, this could be your future - you've all come here as foreigners, as immigrants, so in a sense you share ways with her. She had to go the same way that you're going and ended up as a nominee for Finlandia and won HS kirjallisuuspalkinto."

... well.
I bought the book to see what could be my future and I have to say that it's really good. I haven't found access to the story yet because it's actually comprised of lots of different stories

and I haven't yet found out how to put them together. BUT it's brilliant and now you can guess how I feel about the book. Maybe it would be a very interesting project to try out. ... hmm.

Well well. 
Song of the day would be this one:



No comments:

Post a Comment